Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Body Is Weak But The Spirit Is Strong

"For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day."

II Corinthians 3:16-17

After a rough couple of days and nights, I finally got to open my Bible a little while ago. I was faithful something would jump off the page for me to find comfort and guidance. Sure enough, the first passage I opened up to reminded me the body is weak but the spirit is strong.

I have Epstein Barr/CFS. I formally found out almost 3 years ago but I'm sure I suffered with this for a much longer time. For months, I do well and feel able to handle the tasks at hand. Suddenly a feeling of exhaustion and nausea sweeps over my body from seemingly nowhere, leaving every muscle in my body aching for days with a dull headache.

To be honest, I was feeling sorry for myself then frustrated earlier today. Why does this have to happen now? I realized there is never a "good time" to feel sick. How come there is such limited information about these ailments? Progress is being made and good things take time to happen. In moments, I shot down all my excuses.

After getting sick a few more times, my body started to settle down. I rested for awhile then decided the Bible would give me a better perspective on everything. I felt better when I realized my spirit is strong even if my body is feeling weak.

We have the golden opportunity to renew our spirits everyday through the healing grace of Jesus Christ. I also realized having Epstein Barr/CFS was a silent blessing in an offbeat way. I always worked too hard and too long. I always dreamed of writing for a living but choose to work more "practical jobs". Having this illness actually changed my life and lead to blessings.

It also makes me think more about my health. I used to eat junk food and suck down coffee all day. With my high energy level, I burned off the calories. Now my body has slowed down and I only want to feed myself good things because I feel so much better.

So I've dug myself out of the feel-sorry-for-me funk to renew myself in Jesus. The body is still weak but my spirit is so much stronger. Thank you Jesus for shining your healing light on me today.

I also want to thank all my dear Gather friends for their kind words and prayers. When I got up, I checked the post right away and everyone gave me the boost I needed to open my Bible and go on. Each and everyone of you is a special blessing from God in your own unique way, too, even if you experience physical suffering everyday.

Do you suffer from a physical condition that makes you feel unable to function? Does it make you feel "sorry for yourself" sometimes? Have you found the healing grace of Jesus to uplift your spirits and health during those difficult moments? Please feel free to comment about it.

Have a beautiful, blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment