Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jesus and Flirtin' With Disaster

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearances of evil."

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22

I had a different topic in mind for today but was drawn to these words as I wrote yesterday's Word 4 The Day. It brought to mind that old Molly Hatchet song, "Flirtin' With Disaster". A lot of us flirt with disaster and don't even realize it.

Let's face it, evil usually doesn't walk up to you with a big sign stating "I am evil" with little red horns. Evil is a master of disguises. If evil didn't look "good", it wouldn't have so many supporters. The problem is, evil cannot prove itself. Jesus can and He does. His miraculous presence is right there when we need Him most, even when we don't expect it.

Evil comes in many forms. It may have a contagious rhythm and get you tapping your feet to lyrics you don't even know. When you slow down long enough to hear the words to certain popular songs, you might be surprised to discover you're dancing with the bad guy.

Movies and television are another place we find plenty of evil lurking. The television commercials for horror movies are so graphic and violent, I am appalled. I don't allow my children to watch certain channels because these type of commercials come on. Meanwhile, some of my son's friends (he is 10) are already watching Chucky, Freddie and all these other players. They may seem media-friendly after all these years but what are they teaching our children? Then parents wonder "where" their kids get these ideas when violent behaviors are carried out on playgrounds, in schools and at gatherings with friends and family.

Getting caught up in the daily grind of what your neighbor has is another way evil weaves itself into your life. Rather than being happy and thankful for the food and home you have, you become tempted by the shiny new goodies your neighbor keeps getting. You want them, leave your family for hours to work and buy them then think you are delivering happiness in a box. None of those things bring true joy. Only the love you share with Him and and the people around you brings real riches. Time rather than money is what pleases most.

There are many little ways we all flirt with disaster everyday. When we abstain from all appearances of evil, there is no question Jesus is our savior. We need to carefully consider our actions, what they really say to others and the example we are setting.

I got caught up in it as a freelance ghostwriter. For awhile, I wrote a blog that didn't make me proud. It was for a famous personality and the focus was clearly on sex and exploitation. I was torn because of the opportunity to write for this person but I woke up everyday dreading the assignment. I finally realized it was temptation, plain and simple. I decided to walk away though I needed the money very much. When I did, Jesus blessed me abundantly with meaningful work I felt proud of. I may not get rich monetarily from it, but I feel satisfied inside. Riches are about who you are, not how much you earn and I am holding fast to what is good.

Are you flirtin' with disaster? Have you let evil in without realizing it? Do you have examples of how empty evil is because it cannot prove itself? Do you have stories of how Jesus proved His light in your life? Please feel free to comment here.

Have a beautiful, blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you walked away from that job. I'm sure its worth the peace of mind of not being involved with it. Bless you! jenny

    ReplyDelete